Routines give seniors a sense of order and predictability in their lives which can lead to feelings of comfort and calm. For the elderly, routines can help provide structure to their day and make them feel more secure. Even simple routines like taking a bath or eating at the same time each day can make a big difference.For seniors struggling with changes in their cognitive or physical abilities, setting a daily schedule can help them feel that they are more in control of their lives. By focusing on what they can still do rather than on what they can no longer do, seniors can adapt their routines to their own needs and interests. This can help them feel more empowered and independent.
Routine for Seniors
Keep in mind the senior’s daily routine in hospice care is certainly not intended to be a strict schedule to stick to but simply the basis for predictability and structure. With the older adult’s direction and input, decide on a preferred framework for every day. A sample day-to-day routine might look like this:
7:00 a.m. – Get up, wash face, brush teeth
7:30 a.m. – Breakfast
8:00 a.m. – Get dressed
9:00 a.m. – Do some light exercises
10:00 a.m. – Make the bed
10:30 a.m. – Have a mid-morning snack
11:00 a.m. – Watch TV or read a book
12:00 p.m. – Lunch
1:00 p.m. – Take a nap
3:00 p.m. – Get up from a nap, have a cup of tea
3:30 p.m. – Do some more light exercises
4:00 p.m. – Start getting ready for dinner
5:00 p.m. – Dinner
6:00 p.m. – Spend some time with family or friends
7:00 p.m. – Get ready for bed
8:00 p.m. – Go to sleep
Benefits of a Daily Routine for the Elderly
There are many benefits of a daily routine for the elderly. Here are just a few:
- A Daily Routine Can Help to Keep Us Physically Healthy. As we age, it is essential to keep our bodies active and moving. A daily routine can also help ensure that we get enough physical activity. Regular exercise can help to improve our balance, flexibility, and muscle strength and can also help to reduce our risk of falls and other injuries.
- A Daily Routine Can Help to Keep Us Mentally Healthy. Maintaining a daily routine can help to keep our minds sharp and can help slow the progress of developing dementia or other cognitive impairments. A routine can also help to provide a sense of purpose and help keep us socially connected, both of which are important for our mental health.
- A Daily Routine Can Help to Improve Our Mood. When we have a daily routine, we know what to expect each day. This can help to reduce stress and anxiety and can help to improve our overall mood. A daily routine can also help to give us a sense of accomplishment and can help us to feel more in control of our lives.
- A Daily Routine Can Help Reduce Our Risk of Falling. Falls are a common concern among the elderly and can often lead to serious injuries. A daily routine that includes regular exercise can help to improve our balance and coordination and can help to reduce our risk of falling.
- A Daily Routine Can Help Us Sleep Better. As we age, we may have trouble sleeping through the night. A daily routine can help to regulate our sleep patterns and can help us to get the rest we need.
Let the Team at Golden Rule Hospice Care For Your Loved One
Establishing a routine for seniors is truly beneficial. By having a routine, seniors can stay active and healthy, both physically and mentally. Additionally, routines can help minimize stress and anxiety and promote a sense of well-being when in hospice care. Golden Rule Hospice offers the best hospice care in Atlanta. You can entrust your beloved senior family to us and be assured that they are getting the care they deserve. Contact us to know more.