There are situations where a decision for a care program may be required for you or your loved one. Admittedly, with numerous options available, here is some great information that will assist in making the right choice.
In this article, we will talk about hospice care, what it means for you and your loved one, and what you should look for in a hospice care program.
What Does Hospice Care Mean?
Hospice care is a type of healthcare program that focuses on providing hope, comfort, and the best of care to people facing a terminal illness. Most people think that this type of service is only for the elderly; however, it’s for any person who has a prognosis of six months or less.
If you or a loved one has Alzheimer’s disease, ALS, stroke, neurological disease, chronic kidney, lung, or heart disease, cancer, or dementia, hospice care programs are a great choice. Through these programs, the patient and their families will be given an opportunity to enjoy a higher quality of life and spend more time with each other.
What Should You Look For When Choosing a Hospice Care Program?
A simple Google search will likely lead you to dozens of hospice care options in your area. Going to Medicare’s website allows you to compare hospice agencies in your area. This places you in the front seat to make informed decisions on how the agency will provide support to your family. Here are important factors to consider as you make a decision for you and your family:
- 24/7 Readily Available Assistance. An excellent hospice program must be ready to respond quickly should any problem arise. You should look for those who can offer home care assistance 24 hours a day, seven days a week, even on holidays. With health concerns as intense as this, you will need all the help you can get for the patient.
- Various Locations. Additionally, a hospice program must be able to cater to your needs in any type of location. Whether the patient is at home, a nursing facility, or hospital, they should be able to serve the patient with the best care possible. Some hospice agencies will provide an in-patient care center to oversee symptoms requiring medical equipment that you don’t have at home.
- High Customer Satisfaction. When looking for the right hospice care provider to partner with, it is important to find a company with highly satisfied customers. You can browse through the company’s website to see feedback from their former customers or look for reviews online.
- Varying Levels of Care. Though hospice care handles people with similar life-limiting conditions, there are also different levels of care required depending on the specific situation of a patient. If a person wants to continue services that promote treatment and curing measures, palliative care may be a good alternative. Understanding the philosophy of hospice will make the determination of how much care is needed and which route to take.
- Different Facets of Support. Additionally, you should also consider what type of support is available from the hospice program. Hospice works with a team that provides physical, spiritual, emotional, and psychological support is essential as well. In some companies, grief counseling is also provided for the family members of the patient with support groups even after a death occurs.
- Certifications and Specializations. Finally, it’s also vital to pick out a hospice care provider that employs clinical staff that has received training and education on providing hospice care and support to the particular health concern of the patient.
Contact Golden Rule Hospice Today!
Hospice care is not just about caring for someone dying, it’s about providing opportunities to live your life to the fullest. It’s about giving them more time to appreciate their life—from nature’s beauty, unique experiences, and creating memories with family and friends.
If you are looking for the best hospice care in Atlanta, check out Golden Rule Hospice. We provide home health services at various levels, and our services are covered for those who have Medicare. Schedule a free consultation with our experts today by calling (470) 395-6567.